Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Busy MINI E Weekend And I'm Finally Noticed

(Private exotic car show in Far Hills, NJ)

This was one busy MINI E weekend. Saturday we had the Northeast gathering at Tom's restaurant and then today on Sunday I get an email from an old friend to join a rally beginning in Chatham NJ. Unfortunately I could not make the rally but I was able to meet everyone at the end point in Far Hills...one of the members homes, a gorgeous home.


(The car to the right is an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, only 500 made. Dork pic I know, did not know what the car was until I looked it up later)

(A valets dream)


(Nothing like the sound of the old classics starting up)



(Getting #402 ready for a showing - would anyone notice?)


(A Closer look at my friends classic MINI - right hand drive)


This was no ordinary rally, this was a collection of car enthusiasts who own some very expensive exotics. Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Aston Martins, Lotus, Jaguars, Alfa Romeos and Bentley's all there. These were cars I've seen driving around town on occasion but not all of them in one place at one time.


(It did not take long for #402 to draw a crowd - real auto enthusiasts that knew what #402 was)


I pulled #402 up next to my friends 60s MINI with right hand drive - talk about a contrast of the past and future. I popped the bonnet, plugged the cable into the charge socket to help show what this puppy is and a crowd grew. Mind you I was in the company of some truly amazing cars and the MINI E was a magnet - very cool. The crowd knew it was a MINI E, I guess being around auto enthusiasts helps, and they were quite knowledgeable of the car and we had some great conversation.


(Do you think the DMV gave this guy a hard time for applying for that plate?)



A lot of these exotics had some customization done to them, you would never know it until they start up. The Lambo with the '207 MPH' plate shook the ground and had some massive headers tucked underneath. But all good things do come to an end as it was time to go, I paid my respects to the hosts and began to pack up. As I was driving away I looked back for a quick glance of the cars left and noticed a group of 20 or so gathering in the main courtyard to say goodbye to the hosts. They all paused their conversations and looked up to see me quietly drive away, listening to the sound of silence - fantastic feeling.

Next time I'll be sure to make the driving part of the rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment